Art Coviello, CEO of EMC RSA has made his predictions for security in 2013. (Forbes here). It does read a bit like the good, the bad and the ugly… (maybe not in that order). However it is worth considering his thoughts!
If you are pressed for time, Art’s 8 key points are:
- The hackers will likely get even more sophisticated.
- Our attack surfaces will continue to expand and any remaining semblance of a perimeter will continue to wither away.
- These changes will occur whether security teams are ready or not.
- National governments will continue to diddle or, should I say, fiddle
- It is highly likely that a rogue nation state, hacktivists or even terrorists will move beyond intrusion and espionage to attempt meaningful disruption.
The good news:
- Responsible people in organizations from all verticals, industries and governments will move to that newer intelligence-based security model
- I also predict a significant uptake in investment for cloud-oriented security services to mitigate the effects of that serious shortage in cyber security skills.
- Big Data analytics will be used to enable an intelligence-based security model.
The interesting piece for me is the evolution of the journey from the edge to an intelligence based security model. My analogy is James Bond! The old method is like the scenes, mostly in the older movies, where James had to climb some impossible mountain cliff face, breach a more impossible wall, fight hundreds of heavily armed guards… and then save the maiden! The new approach is where James is right inside the ‘bad guys’ domain, (sometimes involving a game but with real consequences), and the strategic manoeuvring is played out.
ON-LINE Event: Anyway something big seems to be going down this week, register here. If you can catch it live at 1am or 5am… or maybe a more sensible option is next week at 2pm Sydney time, on 5th.